India Energy Subsidy Briefing January 2018
As part of its work on energy policy and sustainable development in India, the Global Subsidies Initiative publishes a regular briefing on issues related to energy subsidies.
Below are highlights from the January 2018 edition:
- Draft National Energy Policy proposes alignment of domestic energy prices with international rates
- Rise in crude oil prices will increase the subsidy burden to the exchequer
- The government will discontinue an increase in monthly subsidized domestic liquefied petroleum gas prices
- Electricity, natural gas and petroleum products may be included in the new unified tax mechanism, the Goods and Services Tax
- States will be legally obliged to provide 24x7 power for all by March 2019 and provide electricity subsidies only through direct benefit transfer
- Competition is driving the prices of solar and wind energy in India
For any additional or more detailed information, please do not hesitate to contact Christopher Beaton or Vibhuti Garg.