Our Issue Experts
Madeline Stanley is a Project Officer in IISD’s Water program. Her past work includes time spent as a wetlands specialist, where she performed water quality monitoring, along with morphometric processing and other analysis to enumerate and identify invertebrates and fish species present in fish stomachs. Madeline holds an M.Sc. in Biological Sciences (Aquatic Biology). Her graduate work examined the spatial variation of water quality and algal production, and the relationship between land use and nutrient loading in Delta Marsh, Manitoba.
- Case Study Research on Offsets for Water Quality Management This case study research examines six water quality trading/offset programs from Canada, the United States and New Zealand and provides lessons relevant to offsetting nutrients, specifically phosphorus and nitrogen, in Manitoba.
- Floating Treatment Wetlands: Keeping our fresh water clean and healthyWe explain how, where and why floating treatment wetlands can be used to keep freshwater bodies clean around the world.
- Citizen Science Fills Critical Gap in Monitoring Freshwater ResourcesMost of us lack baseline data about our ecosystems, which makes it difficult to recognize changes and detect early warning signs. Enter citizen science.
- Making Winnipeg a Smart City With New Technologies We asked four members of our Winnipeg team how they would tackle some of Winnipeg’s most pressing issues: This is what they came up with.
- How The World is Using New Technologies for a Sustainable PlanetAcross the globe, innovations from the Internet of Things to Artificial Intelligence are building a sustainable future for all. This beautiful storybook takes you through just a few examples.
- Harnessing the Flow of Data: Fintech opportunities for ecosystem managementThis report explores how new technologies—like big data, the Internet of things, blockchain and artificial intelligence—can support smarter ecosystem management.
- Floating Treatment Wetlands: Keeping our fresh water clean and healthyThis short, engaging storybook takes you through what Floating Treatment Wetlands are, and how they could really help us keep bodies of fresh water clean and healthy.
- How to Build a Floating WetlandNot only do floating wetlands look super cool, they could help us keep fresh water free of whole range of pollutants—maybe even oil spills! Madeline and Richard take us through how to make one, in this short video.
- Using Financial Technologies for a More Sustainable Planet If you have heard of the Internet of Things, big data, artificial intelligence and blockchain, then you have probably heard of "fintech." We explore how these financial technologies could be applied to create a more sustainable planet.