Our Issue Experts
Senior Research Scientist, IISD-ELA
Michael Paterson has worked as a Research Scientist at the Experimental Lakes Area (ELA) since 1992. His research has focused on the ecosystem effects of human activities on freshwater lakes and his areas of expertise include aquatic food webs, plankton ecology, nutrients, and contaminants. While at ELA, Michael has been involved in whole-ecosystem studies on the effects of hydroelectric reservoir development, aquaculture, eutrophication, contaminants, acidification, and climate change. Prior to moving to IISD, Michael was a Research Scientist with Fisheries and Oceans Canada at Winnipeg’s Freshwater Institute and he has also worked as an environmental consultant for P. Lane & Associates in Halifax, N.S. and North/South Consultants in Winnipeg. Michael is currently an Adjunct Professor in the University of Manitoba’s Department of Entomology.
Kidd, K.A., M.J. Paterson, M.D. Rennie, C.L. Podemski, D.L. Findlay, P.J. Blanchfield, and K. Liber. Direct and indirect responses of a freshwater food web to a potent synthetic estrogen. Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. B. 369: in press dx.doi.org/101098/rstb 2013.0578.
Vasseur, D.A., J.W. Fox, A. Gonzalez, R .Adrian, B.E. Beisner, M.R. Helmus, C. Johnson, P. Kratina, C. Kremer, C. de Mazancourt, E. Miller, W.A. Nelson, M. Paterson, J.A. Rusak, J.B. Shurin and C.F. Steiner. Synchronous dynamics of zooplankton competitors prevail in temperate lake ecosystems. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 2104 281, 20140633
Mailman, M., R.A. Bodaly, M.J. Paterson, S. Thompson, and R.J. Flett. 2014. Low-level experimental selenite additions decrease mercury in aquatic food chains and fish muscle but increase selenium in fish gonads. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 66: 32-40.
A full list of his scientific publications is attached.
- [ From Canada’s Lakes to the World: IISD Experimental Lakes Area Annual Report 2017-2018In this year's IISD-ELA annual report, we explore the impact that our research has had on the world’s fresh water over the last 50 years, what the future holds, and how we are celebrating our half century.]
- [ Canada Advancing Global Efforts on Mercury ManagementThis brief summarizes the state of knowledge on mercury management in Canada based on recent reports, as well as decades of research at the IISD-Experimental Lake Area (IISD-ELA).]
- [ Opening Our Doors: IISD Experimental Lakes Area 2015-2016 Annual Report2015-2016 was the year that IISD Experimental Lakes Area (IISD-ELA) truly opened its doors to the world.]
- [ Manitoba Prairie Lakes: In-lake remediation treatment summaryThis is a summary of a comprehensive research study (Manitoba Prairie Lakes: Eutrophication and In-Lake Remediation Treatments Literature Review) in which IISD examines in-lake remediation treatments.]
- [ Manitoba Prairie Lakes: Eutrophication and in-lake remediation treatments Literature ReviewEutrophication—the enrichment of ecosystems with chemical nutrients—has deteriorated water quality in many of Manitoba’s lakes.]
- [ IISD Experimental Lakes Area Annual Report 2014-2015The 2014-15 IISD Experimental Lakes Area annual report includes highlights from some members of staff and the board, as well as some stats from our first year and images of our 58 beautiful lakes and their watersheds.]