Our Issue Experts
Ronald Steenblik lectures, writes and publishes frequently on issues relating to trade and the environment, and subsidies to primary industries.
Until he retired from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in November 2018, Ronald Steenblik was the Special Counsellor for Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform in the OECD’s Trade and Agriculture Directorate. He led the OECD’s fossil fuel subsidies reform effort, guiding staff working at the nexus of trade and the environment. He also served as Chair of the G20’s voluntary peer reviews of inefficient fossil fuel subsidies.
In 2006-07, Steenblik served as the first Director of Research for the Global Subsidies Initiative (GSI), a programme developed by the International Institute for Sustainable Development to improve transparency on the size and effects of subsidies, especially those harming developing countries or the environment.
His over 40-year career includes private industry; municipal, state and federal governments; academic institutions; and inter-governmental and non-governmental organisations. Steenblik has made important contributions to the policy debate on subsidies to agriculture, biofuels, fishing, and energy production
- [ Subsidy Estimation: A survey of current practiceOne of the key challenges of subsidy reform is a lack of consistent, internationally-comparable data. Information and guidance on how to measure...]
- [ Biofuels - At What Cost? Government support for ethanol and biodiesel in CanadaThis report provides an in-depth analysis of government support to biofuels in Canada, including a comprehensive quantification of the amount of...]
- [ Biofuels at what cost – Government support for ethanol and biodiesel in AustraliaThis report on government subsidies for biofuels in Australia by the Global Subsidies Initiative of the IISD finds the Australian government spent...]
- [ Biofuels - At What Cost? Government support for ethanol and biodiesel in the European UnionThe GSI report, "Biofuels at What Cost? Government Support for Ethanol and Biodiesel in the European Union", questions the rationale behind the...]
- [ Biofuels: At What Cost? Government support for ethanol and biodiesel in SwitzerlandReport on government support for biofuels in Switzerland by the Global Subsidies Initiative of IISD.]
- [ Biofuels - At What Cost? Government support for ethanol and biodiesel in selected OECD countriesA synthesis of reports addressing subsidies for biofuels in Australia, Canada, the European Union, Switzerland and the United States from the...]