Vibhuti Garg is an Associate and Senior Energy Specialist with over 13 years of experience in the energy sector. Her recent work includes promoting sustainable development through influencing policy intervention on energy pricing, subsidy reforms and clean energy, and private participation in various areas of the energy sector. She has advised a number of private and public sector clients about a range of power sector market issues, including: commercial and market entry strategies, market diligence for investment in power projects, the impact of power sector performance on state finances, recommendations on least-cost options for energy supply, long- and short-term demand, and price forecasting. Her publications span opinion editorials, media articles, policy briefs and peer-reviewed publications.
Prior to joining IISD, she has worked as a manager at ICF International and AF-Mercados Energy Markets India and as a research associate in the Energy Reforms, Regulatory Studies and Governance division of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI). She has work experience in Nepal, Bangladesh, Vietnam and in the Caucasus region.
- India's Energy Subsidies Moving in the Right Direction India has become an outspoken proponent of renewable energy, but do the facts back up the rhetoric? Is the central government walking the talk when it comes to India's energy subsidies?
- India's Energy Transition: Subsidies for Fossil Fuels and Renewable Energy, 2018 Update How have India’s energy subsidy policies changed since 2016? Have they become more or less aligned with India’s desired energy future? How have India’s energy subsidy policies changed since 2016? Have they become more or less aligned with India’s desired energy future?
- #G20takeaction now: Civil society organizations call for G20 governments to end subsidies to fossil fuels At the C20 Summit (on the G20 agenda), Vibhuti Garg presented on Addressing the Challenges for Global Energy Transition towards Climate Compatible Future.
- Electricity Sector Reform in Uttar Pradesh: Analysis of tariff adjustments and the Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana Plan (UDAY) This study by IISD-Global Subsidies Initiative (GSI) examines the electricity sector of the state of Uttar Pradesh by analyzing tariff adjustments and the financial assistance scheme UDAY.
- India Energy Subsidy Briefing January 2018 The India Energy Subsidy Briefing covers issues related to energy subsidies. January's edition included the Draft National Energy Policy, crude oil prices, inclusions in the new unified tax mechanism, and the competition driving the prices of solar and wind energy.
- India's Energy Transition: Mapping subsidies to fossil fuels and clean energy in India This report maps out the context, magnitude, trends and impacts of India’s energy subsidies. It aims to enhance transparency and dialogue on energy choices in India and to help track shifts in government support from fossil fuels to renewables.
- Kerosene to Solar Swap Policy Brief 1: Kerosene Subsidies in India: The status quo, challenges and the emerging path to reform This policy brief examines the current system of kerosene subsidies in India, looking at key issues and the impact subsidies have on the distribution of clean, off-grid solar lighting solutions.
- From C20 to the G20: What we need on carbon pricing and fossil fuel subsidy reform IISD’s Global Subsidies Initiative presented at a side event on June 18 at the C20 Summit, a gathering that facilitated exchanges among civil society from G20 countries on the upcoming G20 Summit agenda and beyond.
- Stopping Payments to Polluters: Clearing the air with fossil fuel subsidy reform in China and India Improving urban air quality is a headline concern in both India and China. Fossil fuel subsidy reform is a potentially powerful tool in securing an improvement for both countries.
- How to Pay the Bills? A survey of public attitudes to electricity tariff reform in Rajasthan This report presents the findings of a household survey that sheds light on the attitudes of electricity consumers toward tariff reform in the State of Rajasthan, India.
- An Assessment of the Financial Sustainability of the Electricity Sector in Rajasthan This report examines the performance of the electricity sector in Rajasthan, assessing its ability to recover operating costs, reliably meet demand, make investments and operate according to environmental and social norms.
- How Subsidies for Kerosene are Holding Back Solar Power in India Kerosene is used by millions of households in rural India to meet basic lighting needs, and subsidies have long been used to make the fuel more affordable. But for health, safety and environmental reasons, a switch to solar power is better—and more affordable in the absence of kerosene subsidies.
- India’s 2016 Budget: A mixed bag for clean energy alternatives India's 2016 budget features some important concessions for increasing clean energy, but it is not without drawbacks.
- G20 subsidies to oil, gas and coal production: India This study and accompanying data sheet compiles publicly available information on fossil fuel production subsidies in India in 2013 and 2014.
- G20 subsidies to oil, gas and coal production: South Africa Jointly prepared by IISD, OCI and ODI, this country study and accompanying data sheet compiles publicly available information on fossil fuel...
- Energy Pricing, Energy Supply and FDI Competitiveness in Viet Nam: An assessment of foreign investor sentiment Foreign direct investment (FDI) has made a major contribution to Viet Nam’s impressive structural transformation and economic growth since the...