Our Issue Experts
Vibhuti Garg is a power sector expert with a focus on economic and statistical analysis. She has a deep understanding of power sector including acts and policies in India. Vibhuti has been involved in identification and quantification of producer subsidies in India, market design mechanisms to promote short-term markets, clean energy and private participation in various areas of the energy sector. She has worked on numerous assignments in the power and fuels market, including the implementation of the pilot study on Demand-Response with Rajasthan Discom under a public-private partnership model. She has extensive experience in the renewable energy sector, including issues related to integrating wind energy and implementing drivers and mechanisms for scaling up renewable energy-based power generation. Vibhuti has advised a number of private and public sector clients about a range of power sector market issues, including: commercial and market entry strategies, market diligence for investment in power projects, the impact of power sector performance on state finances, recommendations on least-cost options for energy supply, long- and short-term demand, and price forecasting.
Prior to joining IISD, she has worked as a manager at ICF International and AF-Mercados Energy Markets India and as a Research Associate in the Energy Reforms, Regulatory Studies and Governance division of TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute).
- India Energy Subsidy January 2018 A briefing on issues related to energy subsidies, energy policy and sustainable development in India.
- India's Energy Transition: Mapping subsidies to fossil fuels and clean energy in IndiaThis report maps out the context, magnitude, trends and impacts of India’s energy subsidies. It aims to enhance transparency and dialogue on energy choices in India and to help track shifts in government support from fossil fuels to renewables.
- Kerosene to Solar Swap Policy Brief 1: Kerosene Subsidies in India: The status quo, challenges and the emerging path to reformThis policy brief examines the current system of kerosene subsidies in India, looking at key issues and the impact subsidies have on the distribution of clean, off-grid solar lighting solutions.
- From C20 to the G20: What we need on carbon pricing and fossil fuel subsidy reformIISD’s Global Subsidies Initiative presented at a side event on June 18 at the C20 Summit, a gathering that facilitated exchanges among civil society from G20 countries on the upcoming G20 Summit agenda and beyond.
- Stopping Payments to Polluters: Clearing the air with fossil fuel subsidy reform in China and India Improving urban air quality is a headline concern in both India and China. Fossil fuel subsidy reform is a potentially powerful tool in securing an improvement for both countries.
- How to Pay the Bills? A survey of public attitudes to electricity tariff reform in RajasthanThis report presents the findings of a household survey that sheds light on the attitudes of electricity consumers toward tariff reform in the State of Rajasthan, India.
- An Assessment of the Financial Sustainability of the Electricity Sector in RajasthanThis report examines the performance of the electricity sector in Rajasthan, assessing its ability to recover operating costs, reliably meet demand, make investments and operate according to environmental and social norms.
- How Subsidies for Kerosene are Holding Back Solar Power in IndiaKerosene is used by millions of households in rural India to meet basic lighting needs, and subsidies have long been used to make the fuel more affordable. But for health, safety and environmental reasons, a switch to solar power is better—and more affordable in the absence of kerosene subsidies.
- India’s 2016 Budget: A mixed bag for clean energy alternativesIndia's 2016 budget features some important concessions for increasing clean energy, but it is not without drawbacks.
- G20 subsidies to oil, gas and coal production: IndiaThis study and accompanying data sheet compiles publicly available information on fossil fuel production subsidies in India in 2013 and 2014.
- G20 subsidies to oil, gas and coal production: South AfricaJointly prepared by IISD, OCI and ODI, this country study and accompanying data sheet compiles publicly available information on fossil fuel...
- Energy Pricing, Energy Supply and FDI Competitiveness in Viet Nam: An assessment of foreign investor sentimentForeign direct investment (FDI) has made a major contribution to Viet Nam’s impressive structural transformation and economic growth since the...